Last week One Direction celebrated their 4 year anniversary as a band. It feels like just yesterday that we were introduced to the boys on season 7 of The X Factor (UK). Since then, they have become one of the biggest boybands in the world. One Direction is set to rock the Rogers Centre in Toronto on August 1 and 2. These shows will kick-start their North American leg of the Where We Are Tour and we could not be more excited! To get you prepared for the show(s), we have put together a list some of our favourite performances through the years!
Take a trip down memory lane as we countdown our top 8 One Direction performances:
8. One Direction’s X Factor Judges’ Houses Performance: If you have been a fan of One Direction since day one, I’m sure you haven’t forgotten about their first performance as a group on the X-Factor. Many hearts were stolen during this performance of Ednaswaps’s “Torn.”
7. One Direction sing “Kids in America” – The X Factor: One Direction became Simon’s last act during the seventh season of The X Factor. For this performance, he chose the song “Kids in America” as he fought to make the boys stand out among the other contestants. Their performance included dancing, cheerleaders and tons of red, white and blue lights for an “American” theme. This performance was probably one of the most exciting performances during their time on the show.
6. 2011 X Factor Performance: We all know One Direction didn’t win The X Factor, but that didn’t stop them on their rise to fame. One year after they competed on the show, they returned to the set to perform “It’s Gotta Be You” on the final 7 results show. Please note Liam’s AWESOME hair.
5. 2012 London Summer Olympics Closing Ceremonies: During their performance of “What Makes You Beautiful” at the Closing Ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympics, the boys sung on a float as it drove around the stadium. With lots of dancers and lots of colours, this performance is extremely busy – but it still looked great!
4. 2012 Logies Performance: One Direction performed “One Thing” at the 2012 Logie Awards. The sharply dressed boys were able to get this crowd dancing and singing right along with them!
3. 2013 Today Show Performance: One Direction has a habit of shutting down the streets of New York City on their visits and their appearance on The Today Show last summer was no exception. During their performance of “Little Things,” the boys stripped it down to a bit of an acoustic performance – with Niall playing the guitar and bringing many of the teenage girls in the crowd to tears.
2. 2013 American Music Awards Performance: One Direction performed two songs on the 2013 American Music Awards – but their performance of “Story of My Life” gives me chills! The stage set up was perfect for a song like this. The stage was decorated to look like it was lit up with candles, and the boys were looking pretty good dressed up in suits. Although they all sounded pretty amazing for this performance, I just wanted to point out that Harry Styles in particular absolutely nailed his parts.
1. 2013 America’s Got Talent: Number one on our list is One Direction’s performance of “Best Song Ever” on America’s Got Talent last year. The best part of this performance is the energy coming from the crowd. In fact, the crowd almost drowns out the band for most of the song as they screamed and belted out the lyrics. The boys looked like they were having a lot of fun for this one!
It’s crazy how much the boys have changed in 4 years! Who do you think has changed the most? Tweet us @BestFan and let us know!