Last week, I got the chance to watch the opening night show of Trey Parker’s Cannibal! The Musical. The all-star cast of Canada’s top comedic talent and Second City alums made me cry tears of laughter! They all seemed to get along so well and I really loved their chemistry. It is a country western, meets court room drama, meets survival story, meets laugh out loud fun!
It was a hilarious musical written by the creator of South Park and The Book of Mormon! Elicia MacKenzie, known for winning CBC’s How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?, is the lead female character. Below are her answers to my questions via email.
1. First off, congrats on your role! How is it being in a musical comedy, compared to your more serious The Sound of Music role?
I loved performing in The Sound of Music, but I suppose the big difference between the two is that this cast of people make me laugh every day. It’s just a fun show that doesn’t take itself too seriously, which is a lot less pressure than playing the well-known role of Maria.
2. Without giving anything away, what is your favourite scene in the musical?
Well, one of my favourite scenes in the show would have to be when the men (miners) are lost in the Rocky Mountains…they end up resorting to some very hilariously desperate measures.
3. I saw on your website that you met Andrew Lloyd Webber…what was that like?
Andrew Lloyd Webber is a lovely man. I had the wonderful opportunity of working with him personally on the reality TV show How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? He is a brilliant man who is very humble and giving.
4. What role would be your dream role to play?
My dream role is hard to say because I’ve already been blessed enough to play some really great roles. But one that I have never done before and just adore the show would be Elphaba, in Wicked.
5. If you had to describe the Toronto theatre scene to someone who had no clue what it was like, how would you describe it?
Hopefully on the rise! We have some great theatre here in Toronto. I have to say, It’s a great night out, especially right now with the cold weather and when everyone just wants to stay warm inside.
6. Since I am from BestFan, I want to know what YOU are a “best fan” of.
I would have to say I am a best fan of a good red wine and a delicious cheese. There’s nothing better than chilling out with your friends drinking wine, listening to some music and eating some cheese.
Make sure to check her out onstage before March 8 at the Panasonic Theatre! More info and tickets HERE.