We caught up with up-and-coming singer/songwriter Kate Morgan over email! This British Columbia native just released her first singe “Extra Ordinary” and is gaining traction. Find out more about her below!
1. I watched in a video that you wanted to learn how to play the guitar at age 14. What made you want to learn that instrument?
I was starting to write little pieces of lyrics and melodies at around 13, guitar was a way for me to finally turn my ideas into actual songs.
2. You went to LA to record music. Was that your first time visiting? What surprised you most about the city?
I’d been a few times before, but that was my first real work trip and my first time by myself. I ended up making some very close friends that first trip. I was surprised by how at home and welcomed I felt. Also surprised at how many times an in and out burger would magically appear in my hands.
3. What was the best part career wise about your trip to LA?
It taught me to hustle even harder. Seeing just how many people are down there and working day and night to follow their dreams is incredibly inspiring. The energy there is contagious.
4. How would you describe your musical sound?
It¹s pop pretty through and through, but I think you can hear the influences of the female singer-songwriters I grew up listening to in the 90s and early 2000s. Ya know, the good stuff.
5. On your website, you posted a personal letter (I especially liked the bit about the dog petting). What made you want to do that?
Sometimes reading an artist’s bio seems so cold and factual. I wanted mine to be about who I am, not just what I’ve done. And I thought, who better to write about me than me.? And yes, dogs are the best. I adopted a Chihuahua after I wrote that and I’m obsessed with him.
6. When can we expect an album or EP to be released?
Let¹s say early spring 😉
7. What are you a “best fan” of? It could be anything!
Entourage. I’m watching the entire series for the third time. It’s a problem.
Check out Kate Morgan’s video for “Extra Ordinary” below!